Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Last Friday


Last Friday, NB (my fiance), a few friends, and I all participated in the wedding of two very good friends.  It was a great time, made NB and I super-psyched for our own wedding, and made me feel incredibly close to my friends.  I went through a several year period where I held almost all people at arms length, and reflecting on this weekend I realized that this is the greatest number of people I’ve allowed to get close to me in the past 10 years.  Navigating social relationships is not always the most natural thing for me, so that was kind of a cool realization.

The weekend was also kind of exhausting and involved a lot of driving and staying out late and sleeping on couches.  I am still feeling it today and it is combining with stuff going on at work and perhaps some wonky brain chemistry to give me The Sads.  The plan for tonight involves lots of cuddle time with NB and the cat, plus pasta with goat cheese, broccoli, and fake chicken.  It really cannot come soon enough.  

Who’s excited that it’s October?  NB and I started our annual scary movie kick a couple of weeks ago, but it will shift into high gear now.  A couple of years ago, NB and I watched a few too many seriously scary movies and both became convinced that our apartment was haunted.  Believing your apartment is haunted by possibly unfriendly spirits is unpleasant.  The cognitive dissonance of being afraid of your haunted apartment while at the same time not really believing in ghosts is even more unpleasant.  So now our rule is to watch the occasional legit super scary movie, some corny B movies, and mostly movies that are scary but not utterly terrifying.

After writing that last paragraph, I realized that in the last few weeks I’ve watched several scary movies, my TV viewing has consisted mostly of shows about female killers and old episodes of The Walking Dead, I’m reading a book about epidemics, and on Sunday I started making a horror-themed mixtape.  I guess I’m in the mood for the macabre.

No comments:

Post a Comment